Akarna Dhanurasana asana resembles a strung bow. So it is called Akarna Dhanurasana. There are two methods of practicing this asana.
Technique 1 :
- Sit on the ground. Stretch the legs in front.
- Hold the toe of the right foot with the left hand.
- Hold the left leg with the right hand and try to stretch the right elbow backwards as far as possible.
- Now bend the left leg slowly. Bring the left loot to the chin and the left knee to the left armpit.
- This position will bring the thigh close to the abdomen.
- Hold the breath and then exhale slowly. Repeat the pose on the other leg.
- Gradually, increase the time duration of holding the posture maximum to five minutes.
Technique 2 :
- Sit on the floor with the legs stretched in front.
- Lift the left leg up and hold it with the left hand behind ihe neck in such a way that the thumb remains forward near the ankle and the fingers behind the thumb.
- The weight of the leg falls on the palm.
- Then with the right hand hold the upper part of the left foot with its heel.
- Place the shin on the neck. I urn the neck towards the right side.
- Stretch the left arm and hold the right toes.
- At the same time,lift the right arm up and IK lid the left toes. Look to the right side.
- Then release the legs slowly. Repeat this asana with the other leg.
- Gradually, increase the time of holding the posture maximum to five minutes.
- The practice of this asana gives full exercise to the joints of the hands and the legs, the joints and the muscles of the neck and the spine. It revitalizes them.
- It tones up the chest and the abdominal organs.
- Those who suffer from asthma, tuberculosis and cough get relief if they practice this asana.
- As this asana strengthens the lungs, the chest is expanded and it gets the capacity to hold air.
- This asana cures the pain in the loins, tonsillitis, indigestion, constipation, the tumour in the armpit, gout, pain in the legs, etc.
- This asana alleviates women’s complaints of irregular menstruation, the disorders of ovary and pain in the lower part of the abdomen.