For Anuloma Viloma Pranayama Sit in Sukhasana / Siddhasana / Padmasana with your back straight either on the floor or chair.
Method of Practice :
Close the right nostril with right thumb. Inhale deeply and slowly from left nostril till lungs up til diaphragm are filled. Please give attention not to fill breath in the stomach.
Close the left nostril with tips of middle and ring fingers. Exhale slowly emptying the lungs from right nostril.
Then inhale deeply through right nostril and still holding the left nostril with middle and ring fingers’ tips and
Exhale fully and slowly from left nostril after closing the right nostril with right thumb.
This is one round. Repeat this for 25 times or 15 to 20 minutes. Your right hand may experience tiredness. In that case, alternatively, fingers of your left hand may be used for closing nostrils. You may take rest intermittently if you feel tired and resort to pressing acupressure points to make optimum use of time. Practicing this Pranayama regularly, profound energy which lies in circular form in Mooladhara Chakra will awaken and move upwards which is called Kundalini Awakening. In Vedas, it is called as ‘Urdhva Rethas’.
While practicing this Pranayama, chant the ‘Om’ mantra mentally.
During summer, this should be practiced NOT more than 5 to 8 minutes.
Benefits of Anuloma Viloma Pranayama
- Nervous system will get purified by regular practice of this.
- Body and mind become healthy, lustrous and energetic.
- Diseases due to wind’s (vatha) imbalance will be cured. That means, Arthritis, Rheumatism, inflammation and stiffness in joints will be cured.
- Cold, cough, sinusitis, eyes problem and other long lasting diseases are cured.
- Balancing of wind (vatha), bile (pitta) and phlegm (kapha) will take place.
- Mind filled with negative thinking will be replaced with positive thinking. Yogsadhak will experience interest, spirit and bliss.
- About 7% of the population is suffering from heart-related diseases. With the practice of this Pranayama for 3 to 4 months, about 40% to 50ro blockages in arteries can be removed.
- Cholesterol collected in the heart’s arteries will vanish and Yogasadhak will be out of danger from Heart Attack. Since vital energy flows freely in arteries of the heart, it is not necessary for heart surgery.
- Practicing Anuloma Viloma Pranayama for 15 to 20 minutes regularly, Kundalini energy will move upwards and flows through Sushumna Nadi and reach Sahasrara Chakra which is called Kundalini Awakening.