The Apaan mudra is an extremely important and useful mudra that first detoxifies (and, therefore, purifies) the body and then energizes it.
Apaan mudra is formed by joining together the tips of the thumb, the middle finger and the ring finger.
Apaan mudra is a combination of the Aakaash-vardhak (Aakaash) and the Prithvi-vardhak (Prithvi) mudras. Apart from an increase of elements space and earth, Apaan mudra brings about an increase of Vaata and Kapha humors and, therefore, a decrease of Pitta humor.
Benefits of The Apaan Mudra:
- Anuria (absence/obstruction of urine)
- Constipation, flatulence (gas), piles
- Absence of sweat
- Delayed delivery of a child
- Burning in the body/body-parts
- Ailments caused by a deficiency of element space and humor Vaata
- Ailments caused by a deficiency of element earth and humor Kapha
- Ailments caused by an excess of element fire and humor Pitta.
Minimum 30 to 45 minutes every day, either at one stretch or in three parts (i.e., for 10 to 15 minutes, thrice a day).
People with a Varta + Kapha mix constitution should perform this mudra in moderation.