This important Mudra is sometime called Mritusanjeevani Mudra, a mudra which can snatch a person away from the clutches of death! indeed, this mudra tremendously benefits a person who has suffered from Chest-Pain (Angina pectoris) or Heart Attack. It increases the earth element (and, therefore, the Kapha humor) while decreasing the air & fire elements within the body.
This mudra is formed by Joining together the tips of thumb, middle & ring Fingers and applying the tip of index finger to the base of the Thumb.
This mudra besows triple benefits: Removal of obstruction/blockages in & Detoxification of the Body to allow an increase of element Aakaaash(Space) Increase of vitality due to an increase of element Prithvi (earth). Sedation of the mind and relaxation of the body/Muscles due to a reduction of element Vaayu(Air).
Benefits of Apaan Vaayu Mudra:
- Fast heart beats, palpitations Angina pectoris(Chest Pain caused by blockages within the coronary arteries that nourish the heart)
- Performance of this mudra as soon as a Heart attack Strikes might enable the victim to minimize damage to the Heart muscle
- High blood pressure
- Painful conditions like headache, toothache, tummy ache, backache, joint pains, heel pain, etc..
- Excessive sweating
- Obstruction of urine Ailments caused by a deficiency of element of earth or humor Kapha
- Ailments Caused by an excess of Elements Air & Fire and humors vaata,pitta.
30 to 45 Minutes every day, Either at one stretch or in three parts(i.e., for 10 to 15 mints, Thrice a day). However when suffering from chest-pain, it should be performed continuously till the pain subsides.
People having a pronounced kapha constitution should perform this mudra in moderation.