Yoga. It is said that Matsyendranath was the disciple of Lord Shiva.
Technique of Ardha Matsyendrasana:
- Place the right heel near the anus (buttock) below the testicles.
- Do not move the heel from this position.
- Bend the left knee and put the left ankle on the outer side of the right knee.
- Let the right armpit rest on the outer side of the left thigh.
- Now push the knee backwards so that it touches the back part of the armpit.
- Then hold the toe of the left foot with the right hand.
- Twist the spine slowly exerting force on the joint of the left shoulder.
- Let the spine be twisted to the left side as far as possible.
- Turn the head to the left side as far as it can go.
- Bring it to the line of the left shoulder.
- Take the left hand backwards and try to hold the right thigh with it.
- Keep the spine erect. Remain in this position for five to fifteen seconds.
- Repeat the same in reverse by twisting the spine to the right side.
- This asana makes the spine twist completely.
Advantages of Ardha Matsyendrasana:
- Ardha Matsyendrasana stimulates appetite.
- It awakens the Kundalini and stabilizes Chandra nadi.
- It makes the spine elastic. It massages the abdominal muscles and organs.
- It adjusts and corrects the displacement of the vertebrae, rejuvenating the blood circulation in that part of the body.
- It helps one in practicing Pashchimottanasana.