How to Practice Mudras
- Touching a finger-tip to the thumb-tip increases the element residing in that finger whereas touching a finger-tip to the thumb-base reduces the element residing in that finger.
- When performing a mudra, a light contact between the thumb and the finger/s is sufficient; firm pressure is not really required.
- When performing a mudra, the position of other fingers (which are not participating in that mudra) is immaterial. They can be held (effortlessly) straight or allowed to bend as per the practitioner’s desire or
- Mudras can be practised anytime, anywhere e.g., while reading a newspaper in the morning, while travelling to the office or back home, while watching T.V. or listening to music, etc. However, simultaneous meditation can, perhaps yield greater benefits.
- Mudras can be performed in any body-position i.e., lying, sitting, standing, walking, etc. However, simultaneous meditational
Even passive performance/ of mudras,using rubber bands or sticking plasters (in cases of unconscious/insane people or children) proves benef.c.al.
- Only a few mudras (e.g., Aakaash-shaamak and Apaan-vaayu mudras) help within a few minutes of beginning to perform them. Rest of the mudras have to be practised for about 45 minutes every day (either at one stretch or in three parts, each of 15 minutes), for at least 15 days to experience benefits. In fact they should be practised till the disease is eradicated, however long it takes.
- Should a person undergoing Mudra Therapy bring about changes in diet is a question that is frequently asked. We will say that though not indispensable, suitable dietar/ changes can reinforce the benefits of mudras whereas unsuitable diet can, at least partially, offset the good effects of mudras. If a person having an excess of element Vaayu (air) or humor Vaata in his body liberally consumes foods that can increase Vaayu or Vaata, he may not benefit (or may benefit only partially and slowly) even by a most religious and regular practice of suitable (i.e., Vaayu-decreasing or Vaata-decreasing) mudra/s. Quite obviously, no sane person would want his sincere efforts and time spent in performing mudras go in vain because of injudicious diet. In other words, a person’s recovery from disease is expedited by combinining Mudra Therapy with correct diet. Suggestions about appropriate diet for the three constitutional types, Vaata, Pitta and Kapha.
- Mudra Therapy goes along quite well with other forms of treatment, medical as well as nonmedical. Previous medicines should not be stopped when beginning Mudra Therapy.