Jal Shaamak Mudra brings about a reduction of the Jal (water) element within the body.
This mudra is formed by first placing the tip of the little finger on the base of the thumb and then bringing gentle pressure of the thumb upon this finger. This amounts to suppression of element water (residing in the little finger) by element fire (residing in the thumb).
Benefits of Jal Shaamak Mudra:
- Oedema (water-retention)
- Ascitis, dropsy Excessive salivation
- Watery eyes
- Running nose
- Diarrhoea (loose motions)
- Pleural effusion (pleurisy)
- Effusion in a joint
- Excess of hormones
- Excessive menses (menorrhagia)
- Cold and clamy body / hands/feet Disorders of Vaata deficiency (see Vaayu-vardhak mudra)