Matsyasana is known as Matsyasana because in this asana, with the help of Plavini Pranayama, one can float on the surface of water,like a fish.’Matsya’is the Sanskrit word for fish. This asana is not very difficult to perform. Some practice will enable one to perform this asana easily. This asana is very useful for concentration, meditation and self-realization. There are three techniques to perform this asana.
Technique 1 :
Lie flat on the back. Start with the Padmasana pose with the right leg on the left thigh and the left leg on the right thigh. Lock the forearms and rest your head on
Technique 2 :
Sit in Padmasana and then lie flat on the back. Hold the left toe with the right hand and the right toe with the left hand.
Technique 3 :
- Sit in Padmasana and lie flat on the back.
- Illde the head backwards in such a way that the crown of the head and the hips would support the body.
- Between the head ind the hips,an arch is formed similar to a bridge.
- Now stretch tour arms forward and hold the toes with the fingers.
- In this i” lmique,the neck is pulled in such a way that it gives the • «><ly the shape of an arch.
- Fat persons having bulky muscles of their legs can perform this asana instead of practicing Padmasana.
- First practice Padmasana. Then practice Matsyasana.
- This asana should be done for ten seconds at the beginning.
- Increase the time gradually.
- At the time of the completion of the asana, loosen the head with the help of the hands. Sit and practice Padmasana.
Advantages of Matsyasana:
- The stiffness in the neck-muscles and the dullness around the throat-muscles caused by Sarvangasana can be alleviated by practicing Matsyasana immediately after performing Sarvangasana.
- The windpipe and the sound box remain open while practicing this asana. This induces deep breathing.
- This exercise enlarges the thoracic cage and allows deeper breathing. It tones up the digestive system.
- This asana is beneficial to those suffering from asthma. It removes the disorders of the entire respiratory system.
- It activates the spinal column and the muscles of the back.
- It stimulates the facial nerves and blood vessels thus brightens up the face.