As its name suggests, this asana gives relief from excess wind in the belly. This asana can be performed by raising one leg or both the legs.
- Lie flat on the back. Keep the heels of both (he legs together.
- Inhale deeply and bend the right knee towards the stomach and hold it with both the hands.
- Raise the head above the ground and bring the chin closer to the knee so that it touches the knee-cap.
- Exhale and press the muscles of the right abdomen with the right thigh.
- Keep the stomach pressed till the breath is suspended.
- This asana is called ‘Dakshina Pavanamuktasana’. If this asana is performed with the left leg,
- it is called ‘Varna Pavanamuktasana’. Practise this exercise with both the legs together.
- This is called ‘Purna Pavanamuktasana’. While holding the legs with both the hands, exhale and control the breathing.
- Then slowly begin inhaling while stretching the legs out. (Women are advised not to practice this asana after conception.)
Advantages of Pavanamuktasana:
- Pavanamuktasana is the best natural way to get rid of foul gases.
- It reduces obesity of the body and the fat around the abdomen.
- It prevents heart-trouble and improves the working of the lungs.
- This asana cures diseases such as gas, constipation, the disorders of the uterus, intestinal worms, appendix, rheumatism, piles, blood-impurities, windiness in the stomach.