This is one of the most important asanas. Sarvangasana literally means ‘all parts pose’. When this asana is practiced, all the parts of the body are exercised. So it is called Sarvangasana.
- Lie on the back with the body fully stretched. Inhale as in complete Yogic breathing.
- Slowly raise the legs together.
- Then raise the legs, the hips and the trunk in a continuous movement until they attain a vertical position, support the back on two sides with both the hands.
- Keep the elbows on the ground. Let the shoulders and the neck touch the ground.
- Keep the body steady. Keep the legs raised straight up. Breathe normally. Look at the toes of the feet.
- bend the legs towards the head. Relax the body and bring the legs back to the ground without jerking the spine.
- In this asana, the weight of the entire body is borne by the shoulders.
- Concentrate your mind on the thyroid gland in the lower part of the throat.
- This asana can be practiced twice a day- in the morning and in the evening.
- This asana should be followed by Matsyasana to derive all the benefits of Sarvangasana.
- Practice this asana for two minutes in the beginning gradually increasing the time to the limit of half an hour.
Advantages of Sarvangasana:
- Healthy thyroid means healthy functioning of all the organs of the body. This asana diverts the flow of blood into the thyroid glands and promotes their health. It tones up the blood circulatory system, the respiratory system, the digestive system and the excretory system.
- This is an ideal and strength-giving asana. It energizes and invigorates the body.
- It supplies abundant flow of blood to all the roots of the spinal column.
- It preserves the elasticity of the spinal column and prevents it from being sluggish.Thus,youth is preserved for a long time.
- It prevents nocturnal discharges effectively and helps in observing celibacy. It is a remedy for the diseases of the genitals and the anus.
- It tones up the blood circulation and the digestive system.
- It eliminates kidney troubles and the diseases of the bladder.
- It eliminates the pain in the heels and other disorders of the feet.
- It is beneficial to those who suffer from anemia and leprosy.
- It tones up the functioning of the nose and the ears. It purifies blood.
- Women can safely practice this asana. This asana eliminates the disorders of the ovary.
- It awakens the Kundalini and stimulates gastric juices.
- It eliminates the longtime diseases of the intestines like indigestion.
- If there is a shortage of time, Sarvangasana,Matsyasana, Shirshasana and Pashchimottanasana can keep you in perfect health