Setu means bridge; bandha means formation or construction. In this asana, the body is arched as if to form a bridge. So this asana is called Setubandhasana. This asana is very easy to practice. Persons of any age can practice this asana.
- lie on the back. bend both the knees.
- Raise the loins and the thighs upward.
- Keep the back of the head, the neck and the shoulders firmly on the floor.
- Breathe normally. Remain in this position for six to eight seconds.
- Then take some rest and repeat the exercise.
- Practice this exercise four times a day in the beginning. Later, practice it six times a day.
Advantages of Setubandhasana :
- This asana cures the diseases of the loins and the thighs.
- It gives exercise to the shoulders, the neck, the elbows and the hands. The constant practice of this asana strengthens these parts of the body.
- It expels excess of gases and cures indigestion.
- This asana makes the spine flexible and active.