The Vaata Naashak Mudra brings about a reduction of the Vaata humor within the body.
This mudra is formed by first placing the tips of the index and the middle fingers on the base of the thumb and then bringing gentle pressure of the thumb upon these fingers.
Practice of Vaata Naashak mudra pacifies the aggravated Vaata humor. It is, therefore, an excellent mudra for people with a pronounced Vaata constitution (Vaata dosha).
In fact, they can regularly perform this mudra even to avoid illness. However, people who already have a deficiency of Vaata (e.g., people suffering from paralysis) should practice this mudra in moderation, if at all.
Benefits of Vaata Naashak Mudra:
- Chronic/easy fatigue
- Lack of stamina/endurance
- Indecisiveness, impatience, timidity, inexplicable fear, etc.
- Poor memory, forgetfulness
- Intolerance of cold weather/wind
- Underweight, emaciation, inexplicable weight-loss
- All painful conditions e.g., headache, earache, toothache, throat pain, chest/abdominal pain, backache, heel-pain, joint-pain, etc.
- Numbness in body-parts
- Tremors, shivering
- Unsteady gait (walk), Parkinsonism, giddiness, vertigo
- Creaking joints, Osteo-Arthritis
- Cold, dry, cracked skin, nails, hair
- Irregular, scanty, painful menses
- Hoarseness of voice, stammering
- Constipation, flatulence (gas)
- Scanty urination (oliguria)
- Scanty sweating
- Disorders caused by an excess of air element within the body (see Vaayu Shaamak mudra).
30 to 45 minutes every day, either at one stretch or in three parts (i.e., for10 to 15 minutes, thrice a day).
Ideal time :
Though Vaata naashak mudra can be performed at anytime of the day.
A person desirous of enhancing or boosting the effects of Vaata naashak mudra with kapha kaarak mudra.